This rum cake offers a wonderful dessert for fall and winter menus- and is best when prepared a day in advance. If you remember the liquor infused holiday cakes that Neiman Marcus was famous for during the holidays, this recipe is comparable:
- 2 cups (240g) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (298g) sugar
- 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix (not sugar free)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 2 tsp vanilla exxtract
- 1/4 c almond flour to dust bundt pan with
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F
- TO MAKE CAKE: weigh the flour- measure by gently spooning into a cup, then sweeping off excess
- Place flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking powder, salt, butter, and vegetable oil in a mixing bowl, and mix at medium speed until everything is thoroughly combined and the mixture looks sandy.
- Beat in the milk, then the eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl thoroughly, then beat briefly to recombine any sticky residue.
- Stir in rum and vanilla.
- Spray 10-12 c Bundt pan with cooking spray, then sprinkle the inside of the pan with the almond flour and turn the pan to coat it evenly; then shake out the excess. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread level with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes. When done, a cake tester will come out clean when inserted into the center. Remove cake from the oven.
- Leave the cake in the pan to cool slightly while you make the syrup.
- TO MAKE SYRUP- in a medium sized saucepan combine the 8 tbsp butter, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup spiced rum. Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 to 8 minutes more, until the syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Use a long skewer to poke holes all over the cake. Pouir about 1/4 cup of syrup over the cake while still in the pan, and allow it to soak in. Repeat until you have used all of the syrup.
- Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow cake to sit overnight at room temp to cool completely and soak in the syrup. When ready to serve, loosen the edges of the cake and invert into serving plate. If the cake wont release, dont force it. place it in oven and turn oven to 350F , and warm for about 10 min- remove and tip onto serving plate.
Wrap securely or place under cake cover. Store at room temperature for several days. Freeze for longer storage, up to one month.