This recipe is my go-to because it is consistently good and keeps well in the refrigerator for up to a week, allowing you to make fresh muffins every morning rather than all at once. You can make them with fresh or frozen blueberries. I always prefer fresh to frozen because frozen berries will turn the batter a streaky blue color. If fresh blueberries aren’t an option, frozen will work- just mix them into the batter while still frozen. A few added special ingredients take these muffins to the next level and are well worth purchasing. I have linked them below.
- 2 1/4 c all purpose flour (King Arthur Flour makes the best)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 3/8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup (50g) vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup to 7/8 cup granulated sugar (more if your berries are tart)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fiori di sicilia
- 1/2 cup (113g) sour cream or yogurt (full-fat will yield the most tender muffins)
- 1 1/2 cups (213g) blueberries, fresh or frozen
- coarse sparkling sugar, for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a muffin pan with papers, and grease the papers.
- Measure the flour by gently spooning it into a cup, then sweeping off any excess. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter or vegetable oil and sugar with a hand-held or stand mixer, until light and fluffy. Start the mixer at low speed until the ingredients are incorporated, then gradually increase speed to medium-high. If using butter, the mixture should turn almost white in color; if using oil, the mixture should look frothy.
- Scrape down the bowl to make sure all the butter or oil is incorporated, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and sour cream or yogurt, and mix until incorporated. Then add fiori di sicilia and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until the batter is smooth. The batter will be very thick, almost like cookie dough.
- Fold in the berries by hand. If you use frozen berries, the batter will become even stiffer; don't worry about it, it's fine.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling cups about 2/3 full. Again, the batter will be thick and stiff; don't expect it to settle. Sprinkle with regular granulated or coarse white sugar, if desired. (the coarse white sugar makes the muffins beautiful)
- Bake the muffins for 18 to 24 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove them from the oven, and take them out of the baking pan as soon as you can and transfer to a rack to finish cooling. (Leaving hot muffins in the pan creates steam that will toughen the muffins as they sit.)
- Store leftovers for a couple of days at room temperature in an airtight container, or freeze for up to 1 month.
If you're using frozen berries, mix them into the batter while still frozen. They'll turn the batter a streaky blue color. They'll also increase the baking time by as much as 5 minutes.
If you are not familiar with King Arthur Flour products, I highly recommend them. The difference is in the details, which can be purchased online from KAF, linked below:
If you are unfamiliar with Fiori di Sicilia, the best way I can think to describe it is that it offers a floral “essence” to baked goods. The pleasant combination of citrus and vanilla takes your baked goods to the next level. An Italian favorite, Fiori di Sicilia is excellent in mild, sweet dishes that allow the complex flavor and aroma to truly shine. Keep a little bottle of this in your refrigerator. The magic that it works will surprise you and your guests.
This sugar adds a nice crunch and makes the muffins even more visually appealing. Available online at King Arthur Flour, Sur La Table or your favorite cooking store.
(for next-level muffins because presentation matters! shown below) Perfect for muffins or individual cakes! 2.5″ high X 1.75″wide. No need to pre grease
quality ingredients make quality food- always
If you found this article useful, please recommend it and share it with your friends.
Follow me on