If You Have Allergies or Pets…Make Sure You Have the Right Vacuum Cleaner
Not exactly a sexy subject matter, but worth the quick read.
What began as the search for a pet-specific vacuum cleaner became an education on indoor air pollution, a topic that I had never had reason to consider.
I have a wonderful dog who sheds a lot. Over the years I have wanted a vacuum cleaner that would adequately pick up the fine fur from my rugs. I tried quite a few different brands, which will go unnamed, but let’s just say that one was more like indoor lawn mower to my fine rugs and others like leaf blowers, spewing clouds of dust particles. At a moment of frustration, I consulted a local carpet showroom expert. These people are trouble shooters for everything that can go wrong, so they were armed and ready for my questions, offering strong opinions about protecting carpets, and equally important- health.
The wrong vacuum cleaner can be detrimental to your health. The EPA and the American Lung Association have conducted studies which concluded that proper filtration is extremely important. Bagless vacuum cleaners or poorly filtered devices release dust and fine particulate matter into the air, which can imbed in the lungs, causing serious health issues such as: asthma, bronchitis, other cardiovascular or respiratory issues. Perhaps we shouldn’t be so quick to blame genetics or the outdoors for our allergies if we are not all over our indoor air quality. Miele offers top of the line filtration that goes a step beyond HEPA certification, which is an added bonus to the fact that Miele basically invented the pet-specific vacuum cleaner – the Miele Complete C3 Cat&Dog. This model is in a class of its own, offering way more than I ever expected of a vacuum cleaner. At first I was uncertain about it, until an educational trip to the Miele showroom highlighted features that set this machine apart from the rest. It is a higher-end choice and well worth it.
A quick list of the standout features:
- It is super quiet and maneuvers easy (with a velvet bumper strip to protect the furniture) and stores easily
- Great for hardwoods, oriental rugs, carpet, shag and furniture
- Motor-Driven Brush with a five-level height adjustment for various carpet thicknesses
- Great attachments: Dusting Brush, Upholstery Tool, Crevice tool, Parquet Twister floor tool, Mini Turbobrush, Electro Plus electrobrush
- Not only does the bag have high filtration, but there are HEPA filters on the exhaust – so when you vacuum, the air is a little cleaner each time
- Even if you don’t have pets but do have allergies, the filters are an important and unique quality control feature.
The Cat and Dog Miele model is designed with the quality control of German engineering because one setting does not fit all needs or floor and carpet types. It keeps the pet hair away, the air fresh, and fine carpets in pristine condition. While it is more expensive than other brands, it is designed to last significantly longer and backed with an impressive warranty.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with Miele. All content, ideas and words are my own.